Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Week 10 for Juliet: Every Time the Phone Rings

The Exercise:  Each time the telephone rings, chimes, or buzzes, stop what you are doing and take three mindful breaths to settle the mind before answering.  If you get very few calls a day, set an alarm to ring several times to remind you to stop and breathe.

On the first day of the assignment following the directions, I put a big note on my phone at work that said “Three Rings”.  This strategy was effective as I did indeed wait the required three rings to pick up my phone.  However, I got a total two calls, both from my husband.  As I waited to pick up the phone, I wondered if he would notice.  He did not.  Even with the low number of calls, I have decided to count this as a success, because I did follow the directions.

At home, for reasons too boring to get into here, our phone only rings twice before it goes to the answering machine.  Pretty much no one calls that number unless they are trying to sell us something.  If you are selling me something, please leave a message at the tone so I can ignore your call.  Wait three rings.  No problem!  Success again!

The phone that I do most everything on but talk.

As for my cell phone, I will admit that when it rings mindful breathing is the last thing I am thinking about.  Instead of feeling calm and inviting in mindful breathing, what I am thinking is where the heck is my phone?  Can I extract it from the depths of my purse to answer it before it goes to voicemail?  Taking three deep breaths does not fit into that equation for me.






In summary, here is what I learned this week:


1.   I don’t really like forced mindfulness breaks.  I would rather take a mindfulness break when I need one during the day rather than waiting for a phone call or setting an alarm.  (OK, this is my lame excuse for not setting an alarm to do this exercise.  But you have to admit it sounds pretty reasonable.)

2.    That the phone on my office desk is largely for decoration.

3.   With the exception of obligatory calls to my mother, and quick check in calls to my husband and son, I don’t really talk on the phone much. 

4.   That my favorite way to communicate with my friends is face-to-face.  If that is not possible, you can reach me via Facebook, email, or a text message.  I promise to take three deep mindful breaths before pressing the send button.

No comments:

Post a Comment