Thursday, March 8, 2012

Week 9 for Juliet: Listen to Sounds

The exercise for the week was to stop several times a day and listen for sounds as if your ears were giant radar dishes.  To listen for the obvious sounds as well as the subtle sounds as if they were being played as music just for me.

My main observation in doing this practice this week was on the contrast between the sounds of nature and the sounds of the busy human world.  I encountered this contrast at home, at work, and even in the yoga studio.  I suppose this contrast was more evident to me as here in my neck of the woods in South Carolina it is beginning to feel a lot like spring.  Especially if you are a bird, as everywhere I go outside this is the sound I notice.  Spring!  The promise of spring!

When I feel stressed, it is helpful for me to stop and listen for the sounds of nature.  This settles my mind and grounds me.  It reminds me that I am not a human doing, but a human being.  Just like the birds and turtles outside of my office I am a part of nature and I can choose not to be so caught up in the issues of the busy world. 



A few times this week when the weather was pleasant I left my desk to go for a walk.  I listened to the birds.  Layered behind the bird songs are the sounds of cars from the nearby interstate and an occasionally plane overhead.  I am lucky to have a job.  Lucky to have the contrast in my life; one part in the busy world and one part connected to nature.

Maybe my favorite contrast came in yoga class on Sunday morning.  As we finished class and sat for the final blessing, a bird right outside the garden door offered her serenade to us.  As if on cue, as soon as the bird finished his song, someone’s cell phone starting chiming in its’ response. 

In the past a phone ringing in class would have really annoyed me.  I realized when it happened this week that I no longer see it that way.  Instead I can see it as a reminder to hold the contrasts.  One part in the busy world, one part connected to nature.

Need a break from your busy world?  Click here to take a little nature break without leaving your desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment