Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Week 11 for Juliet: Loving Touch


I could give the world for you to hold and you know I could
Everything I’d touch would turn to gold and you know it would
But I need something else that’s only yours for the giving
I need something else to make my life worth living
You’ve got the loving touch that I need so much
You’ve got the loving touch that I need so much
No matter how I try your love I couldn’t buy
‘Cause I need so much of your love

--“Loving Touch” sung by Roy Orbison

The exercise:  Use loving hands and a loving touch, even with inanimate objects.

I believe that how we use our hands is an expression of our heart.  As a yoga teacher, I have a unique opportunity to touch many people, some of whom I know very well and others that I don’t know at all.  This is a great responsibility that I take very seriously.  Touch is a conduit for energy.  Because I am sharing my energy, I do my best to ensure that I touch in a way that is sensitive to my students needs and that my touch comes from a place of love in my heart; a true desire to provide a safe and supportive environment for their own growth.

That said I wish I could tell you tell you that I operate with the same sensitivity and compassion to all inanimate objects as I do to my animated students.  I observed this week that there are certain objects that I always touch lovingly and others that don’t fare as well.  For example, the shawl that I wear when I meditate is one object that I handle with care.  I have used this same shawl in meditation for the past 10 years.  A part of me feels woven into the fabric:  my thoughts and dreams and hopes and intentions, held together in these threads.  On the other end of the spectrum I noticed my passive aggressive behavior toward the dishes as I was cleaning up the kitchen this week.  Washing them roughly and dumping them loudly into the sink.  It seems unfair for them to have to bear the brunt of my unhappiness for them not making their way to the dishwasher.  A reminder to myself, take three breaths, wash, rinse, and repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment