Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Week 12, Zanna: Waiting

The Exercise: Any time you find yourself waiting -- when you're in line at the store, waiting for someone who's late, or waiting for the "please wait" icon on your computer screen to go away -- take this as an opportunity to practice mindfulness, meditation, or prayer.

I realized this week that because of modern technology, I don't really ever do much waiting. I'm hardly ever bored anymore. If I have to wait in line, or for food, or for anything, I distract myself with something else like email or texts or facebook or Words with Friends. I don't really ever pause.

I tried to be mindful this week. I tried to take deep breaths and be present in the moment, but then I'd notice my hand reaching involuntarily for my smartphone. If my computer is slow or asking me to wait, I wander off and do something else, or I'd reboot.

I am having trouble remembering what life was like before all this technology to keep me amused was so readily available. I didn't walk around with a book all the time like my husband did/does, I mean, I read... but to this day, he never goes anywhere without a book. He lives constantly in two universes... and I guess now I do as well.

I guess I should get this blog published. I don't want to keep you...

No comments:

Post a Comment